Kid-friendly? Adult supervision required
We all know that one person who can’t get enough of crystallised ginger. Show them that you get it by making them a batch from scratch. You can even chocolate-coat these babies, if your recipient is into that.
In other news, these are reportedly useful to have on hand for combating motion sickness.
- 500g fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- Glass jar with airtight lid, small to medium sized
- Twine and hole-punched card label (or stick-on label)
- Place ginger in a pan, cover with water and simmer for 45 mins or until tender.
- Take ¼ cup of the cooking liquid, and simmer separately. Drain remaining liquid from ginger.
- Add ginger to newly simmering liquid, along with sugar. Continue to simmer, stirring, for 15-20 mins or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Toss ginger in any sugar remaining in pan, adding a little more if necessary to coat.
- Place ginger on a rack to cool.
- Transfer into jar and label.